Changez Khan (Genghis Khan, Mongols) Biography for Kids – makemegenius.com
1167 Genghis Khan is born.
His hordes are so efficient in their plunder that their size is greatly overestimated by their victims, who assume there are millions of Mongols patrolling their lands. (In fact, it is only a couple dozen guys, but they are pretty tough.)
- on August 18, 1227, A.D.
- First name was Temujin Borjigin.
- Took the name Genghis Khan when he became the Emperor of the Mongolian Empire
- Empire sprawled from Beijing to the Caspian sea.
The “Early Years”
- Genghis Khan’s father (Yesugei) was a leader of the Borjigin clan
- He was poisoned by the Tartars (rival clan).
- The remainder of the clan abandoned him and his family
The “Early Years” cont.
- Temujin found help in a family friend named Toghril Khan.
- Leader of allied Kermit tribe
- Toghril gave Temujin some troops and convinced Jamuka (a childhood friend of Temujin) to help him.
- When the rival clan, the Merkit, abducted Temujin’s wife Borte.
- Jamika and Toghril helped conquer the Merkit.
The start of the Conquering
- Temujin then starts to go after other tribes and conquer them
- Such as the Jurkin
- After defeating the Jurkin
- Kills nobles
- To cease alliances
- Takes the commoners and turns them into his own warriors
- A very smart tactic that continues throughout the life of Temujin
Conflict with the Tartars
- Emperor of the Jin Dynasty in China engages in a conflict with the Tartars
- Temujin and Toghril Khan decided to get revenge on the Tartars for killing Temujin’s father.
- They join with the forces of the Jin empire and together crush the Tartars
- This further decreases the number of rival clans there are in the Mongolian Empire.
Crisis within Allies
- Temujin and Jamuka had a fight
- This split the allied army in half
- Then Toghril Khan aligned himself with Jamika
- This even further decreased the numbers of warriors on Temujin’s’ side.
- Remarkably Temujin was able to defeat the combined powers of his former allies.
- He has now effectively united/ exterminated all the tribes of the Mongolian Empire.
- And is recognized as “Genghis Khan”
The Mongolian Army
- Traditionally fought in clan units
- Genghis broke up clans to break down rival allegiances.
- Grouped into 1000 horsemen
- Each commander was personally loyal to Genghis
- Brokedown rival commanders.
- Genghis made an elite guard for himself made up of 10,000 men
- Mostly Commander’s sons
- Before Genghis Khan Society based on clans
- Nomadic tribes
- Genghis Khan takes clans units out of the army and the society.
- Becomes a Feudalistic society
Continuation of the Conquering
- The rapid expansion of the Mongolian State led to conflict with China
- War Against Xi Xia from 1206-1209
- Then Attacks the Jin from 1211-1234
- Estimated that 90 cities were burned and pillaged
- Beijing burned for a month while under siege by Genghis Khan