What is Raksha Bandhan?
Raksha Bandhan comprises two Hindi words, Raksha, which means protection and Bandhan means bond. So Raksha Bandhan is a bond of protection, and Rakhi is its symbol. Just like you tie a friendship band on your friend’s wrist to show your love. Similarly, a sister ties rakhi on her brother’s wrist and the brother pledges to protect her. And the sister prays for the long and healthy life of her brother. The sister gets a gift from her brother.
When is it celebrated?
Raksha Bandhan fall in the lunar month of Shravan, or the month of August as we all know.
Raksha Bandhan a day of feast? : Good feast is part of any Indian festival. It usually includes special Indian bread, vegetable rice with hints of spice, and of course, dessert is an important part.
what are Rakhis made of? : Generally, these are made of silken threads interwoven to give a beautiful look. You can find fancier rakhi for kids though.
History of Raksha Bandhan? : There are some stories, like the Queen of Chittor, sent Rakhi to the emperor named Humayun, when Bahadur Shah was about to attack Chittor.
Fun Facts About Raksha Bandhan
- The word Raksha means protection. The brother promises to protect his sister.
- The word Bandhan means “to tie” or “bond”. The sister ties the rakhi around her brother’s wrist.
- It is thought that the protection offered by the rakhi lasts for one year. So the festival and ceremony must be repeated each year.
- Sometimes the rakhis are decorated with coloured threads and even colored beads and stones.
- Sisters can buy the rakhi or make their own from thread and crafts.
For More Information Please Watch our Video